You must hear of the term MR i.e. Medical Representative and role of a medical representative. Also you must know people around you or seen people who work as an MR for a medical firm or firm.
But how much do you know about the job profile of an MR and what do they exactly do. Is it a job like other jobs or different? This blog is all about the medical representative profession.
You will cover the following topics in this blog
- What is MR?
- Role and responsibilities of an MR
- How to become a good MR?
- Qualities of a good MR
- Characteristics and skills of an MR, etc.
Let’s start the topic from the basics.
What is MR?
MR i.e. Medical Representative is a contact reference between Pharmaceutical companies and heat professionals like Doctors, Health & Nutrition consultants. The job of an MR is to promote and sell the products of their company for which he works. These products can be pharma drugs, medical equipment.
The job of Medical Representatives?
Medical representatives visit clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, medical colleges. They managed to meet the doctors, pharmacy owners, clinic managers, nutritionists. Usually, their job is to get an appointment with the doctors, promote and sell the company’s pharma drugs.
Medical representatives introduce the company’s product, give a brief presentation of the product, answer queries and request a prescription from the concerned doctor.
Roles and responsibilities of medical representatives
A medical representative has to perform many tasks and activities. The role and responsibilities of an MR are not limited to the Pharma company and medicines.
He has to run pillar to post to achieve his sales target. MR works since morning to even late nights and their primary job is to meet doctors and health professionals, get prescribed the pharma drugs and generate the sale.
In the process of completing their target, medical representatives arrange meetings with doctors, nurses, pharmacists, nutritionists and give presentations of the drugs or medical equipment.
While performing his role, he must look decent, gentle and professional against all odds. So, this way the medical representatives have to be updated with the product knowledge, pharma market, competitors’ strategies, and make plans accordingly.
Here are the role and responsibilities of MR
- Pharma Company representation
- Introducing the new product in the market
- Promotion of Pharma products
- Achieving sales target
- Record keeping and reporting
- Getting feedback on the product
- Providing customer support and customer service
Is there any particular qualification needed to be an MR?
Well, there is no specific qualification needed to be an MR. If a person possesses basic smartness, common sense and willingness to success then no one can stop him.
But, if he has a basic knowledge of human anatomy, bio science, and a sales background then it would be an added advantage for him.
Pharma companies prefer B. Pharma and Medical students. Also, if a candidate having a science background i.e. PCMB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics) background then they preferred more as such candidates grasp things easier compared to arts and commerce students.
But, even a person with no knowledge of medical science even ten Pharma companies provides a basic training of 15 days to 2 months once he gets selected.
Also, if one really wants to make a career in the Medical and Pharma sector then he may opt biology with mathematics after high school and pursue graduation in the Pharma field.
There are many universities and colleges that offer a degree in bio sciences, healthcare, and Pharmacy. Admission is strictly based on marks obtained in the entrance exam.
Skills required for an MR
Skills required for MR are more or less the same required for a salesman. The difference is an MR should also be aware of the medical field and pharma drugs.
A good MR must possess the following characters & skills
- Must be willing, dedicated and success-oriented.
- Should be disciplined and punctual.
- Should be hard working.
- Should have the ability to work independently as well as with the team.
- Should be loyal, smart and honest.
- Should be well mannered.
- Should be polite and gentle.
- Should acquire basic knowledge of drugs and Pharma market.
- Should be well conversant with the local language and dialect.
- Should have a basic understanding of the English language.
- Must have a right and positive attitude.
- Should be self-motivated.
- Should have good communication skills.
- Should have sales and presentation skills.
- Should be confident and self-aware.
- Should have the willingness to travel out of his territory.
- Should not be stubborn and rigid.
- Should have the ability to make decisions.
- Should have the ability to analyse the situation and act accordingly.
- Should be adaptable.
- Should have good listening skills.
- Should have dressing sense and well-groomed.
- Should have the ability to learn and explore.
- Should have the maturity to handle criticism and negative feedback.
- Should have patience.
- Must have product knowledge.
- Should be from a science background (preferred)
- Should have the problem-solving ability and handle objections.
- Should have the ability to work under pressure
- Should have the ability to pitch the right product to the right customer.
- Should have the ability to explore and exploit the right opportunity.
Basically, medical representatives are the people who work as a bridge between medical professionals like doctors, healthcare experts, and drug manufacturing companies.
They visit doctors, health experts, pitch the products of their Pharma company and get prescriptions. Medical representatives increase the awareness level of doctors related to new pharma drugs & market and also increase their sales too.
A medical representative is the face of the company and his career growth depends on his performance, product knowledge and product.
If you enjoyed this post and want more, please share this blog.